Senior Mechanical Engineer
We are looking for enthusiastic, dynamic and proven engineers to work as one of the senior members of a rapidly growing Advanced Services and Products (AS&P) team. The role will require the successful candidates to lead groups of engineers on a range of projects requiring Mechanical Engineering input and analysis in exciting areas such as Land Autonomy using robotic vehicles, Hybrid Electric Drives (HED) for military vehicles and Land Camouflage.
The work will be mainly Farnborough based and aims to solve mission critical problems for a growing customer base who continue to expect more to meet increasingly challenging requirements. The work will require application of in depth knowledge and leadership of technical teams to solve complex engineering problems and deliver studies and Technology Demonstrations to the customer.
We have roles at a number of levels for the right candidates with a proven track record in any of the following areas:
- Transmission / Gearboxes
- Electric Drives
- Hybrid power generation and transmission
- Traction Control
- Land Mobility
- Military & commercial tracked and wheeled vehicles
The role will provide opportunity for furthering technical knowledge from integrating with the existing team, technical management development and further development of people management skills through running project teams.
Leading and conduct of mechanical and electro-mechanical design and analysis work to enable delivery of technical work that meet the customer’s requirements.
Generation and development of viable concepts and solutions that meet the customer’s requirements.
Knowledge, skills and Personal Qualities Required:
- Leading engineering teams to achieve project aims
- Identifying and applying the appropriate analysis method making assumptions as necessary.
- Identifying and applying efficient solutions that will meet design requirements
- Working to deadlines set by project milestones.
- Well-developed verbal and written communication skills to exchange complex information and developed communication and diplomacy skills used to direct / persuade / influence others
- Ability to use CAD software (ideally Solid Works) to develop concepts communicate and explore ideas and to interrogate designs and obtain required information such as dimensions of features.
- Fluent user of Microsoft Applications (e.g. Excel, Access, Word).
- Lead and participate in the delivery of projects, with a primary focus on mechanical engineering and analysis.
- Accountable for the delivery of own work and that of junior members of the team as agreed with, or as part of, the Project Leadership to the required budgets, standards and specifications
- Produce effective solutions with concise and valid recommendations
- Ensure that a traceable record is maintained of work conducted
- Understand and work within a range of requirements and British / ISO standards applicable to the mechanical system in development.
- Undertake specific tasks or respond to actions from technical meetings as these arise.
- Comply fully with project specific compliance Health, Safety, Security and Quality regimes and customer confidentiality requirements.
- Maintaining level of general knowledge whilst also developing areas of specific expertise
- Proven ability to lead engineering teams to achieve project aims.
- Proven ability to generate and develop concepts and take them through to a validated solution.
- Significant experience in automotive, electric drive vehicles, military vehicles and/or autonomous vehicles.
- Ability to identify the approach, assumptions and mathematics required to solve an engineering problem.
- Attention to detail and a concern for accuracy.
- Be proactive in evolving solutions to problems with an emphasis on technical quality.
- First Degree or higher degree in a related discipline, e.g. Mechanical Engineering, Automotive Engineering, Electro Mechanical Engineering, or similar plus 9 years further experience in a relevant field.
- To currently hold, or be eligible to hold UK Security Clearance.