Cloud Security Engineer/Associate Cloud Security Engineer
Join a market-leading defence company offering an opportunity to work on highly technical cutting edge projects, enabling customers to protect, improve and advance their vital interests.
This is an exciting opportunity for a cloud security engineer to work across a number of key programmes of work for both internal and external customers, including MoD departments, Government agencies and commercial organisations. Most of the cloud projects today are built on AWS or Azure, but you’ll gain experience across a range of technologies based on the needs of our customers.
As a Cloud Security Engineers, you’ll have responsibility for ensuring that critical projects built on public cloud are appropriately secured through the design, build and support phases, working with Product Owners, Security Architects and System/Platform Engineers to build systems that simultaneously achieve the desired mission outcomes and provide robust defences against sophisticated and highly motivated attackers.
The position will involve developing detailed designs for cloud environments that take advantage of modern security technologies, then working closely with the platform engineering team throughout the build to ensure that security is an integrated part of the development phase. Technologies you will likely employ include: Identity and Access Management, Encryption (at rest and in transit), Role-Based / Attribute-Based Access Control, Virtual Private Networks, Network Access Control Lists, Firewalls / Security Groups, Logging and Monitoring, Endpoint Detection and Response technology, Multi-Factor Authentication, etc.
We’re looking for someone with excellent teamwork skills to join an agile environment within a matrix-structured organisation and to collaborate effectively with colleagues from other disciplines. You will also be expected to work closely with other members of the Security Engineering team to provide consistent ways of working, knowledge transfer and design patterns.
We are seeking either an associate engineer or engineer, and will appoint based on relevant experience and expertise. In either case you will be given many opportunities to learn and develop in your role. We are happy to discuss flexible and remote working, though you may be expected to occasionally travel.
Key Skills / Experience
- Good technical understanding of both cyber security issues and cloud technologies
- Appreciation of the security challenges that are unique to public cloud
- At least one year’s postgraduate (or equivalent level) experience in a cyber security or cloud engineering role
- At least one certification in cloud technologies at ‘associate’ level or above
- Ability to read and write code in at least one programming language
- Experience of working with agile workflow tools (e.g. JIRA / Confluence)
- Experience of working with Infrastructure as Code and Continuous Integration / Continuous Development tools
- Minimum 2:1 in a STEM degree or equivalent